Followers

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Out back Flowers

I have decided that to keep my other blog for my creative bits I needed to start somewhere else to put my many gardening bits .
Here I shall record the happenings in my area that will include the school developements (garden wise) and anything that is remotely green or light brown in some cases as this is the arid area of Australia. A fun way to show my green thumb/fingers.....(also wher I can prattle on about gardening too....

First and foremost We have some rain! it was fast and the smell was heavonly,the kids were dying to get into the mud and all kid things that happen when it rains but I had had a long day at work and the last thing I wanted to do was clean up four muddy boys and a dog. They had to suffice with a toe dangle.It was all to brief and probably only about 30 to 40 points in the old gauge and really you wouldn't even have known it had rained at all two days later.Watering still had to be carried on at school and all the raking that the storm mess created.


This is a glimpse of our bush near our house where the BMX boys have been digging up their jumps.You can see how arid it is ,not exactly desert but there is no naturel water for a long way.All our town water is piped in from Perth and the mines use as much of the local underground saline water wher they can.

A member of the local native population,not sure what his name s but there ae some very pretty reptiles around here.


Heres another one.....(a gecko this time)
I do have some other lovely piccies of natives but stored on another computor..this was/is a garden site but how can you have garden stuff without some residents as well!
This a spalsh of colour,Tibuchina,or Lisandris(Hope I got that right),now what I would love to know is ,Is this a native Australian Lisandra or the Brazilian one,I have done some research and as usual the Nursery only puts the easy name on the tags and internet research came up with some confusing and confricting info...
Here is the other colourful addition to my own garden,a Geraldton Wax,will add its full name later but the colour is wonderful,I spyed another deep burgandy one in Kalgoorlies only WaterWise Garden centre ,Macbrides ,there are two others but this is new! and very nice(wasn't game to look at prices though).....Tillys just checking it out.....

This a closer look,the flowers are gorgeous....and they are quite hard to touch not soft and feathery at all.I haven't been game to plant any in my garden before but as I was developing the front I thought why not,careful preparation and all that,6 months will tell how successful I have been..

Next post I will put some photos up of my front garden, as its mostly red dirt, it will be interesting how it developes over time!(the back yard is a disgrace so it shall remain hidden for a while,LOL....

2 comments:

Lifecruiser said...

I enjoyed this post very much, beautiful flowers and to see the Gecko too.

It's so very different from here in Sweden!

And the dog is smelling the flower! Cute :-)

Mrs Lifecruiser.com

Anonymous said...

Cathy
you are an inspiration.I too am a mad keen gardener and found your site by accident as I am desperate to put in drip irrigation for when I go away at christmas, so I have been googling for the last few hours.
I live in kalgoorlie,and am not game to try to install it myself. My husband has made severalattempts & I don't wan't to hurt his feelings, BUT I am not going away if I have to leave my garden to die.
Do you know any one that won't charge the earth but can put in a reliable system
Cheers Cheza